A roof is the foundation of a person’s home. At times most people forget how important it is to keep your roof in good condition. Without a proper care your roof can fall apart, which later results in in damage to your home. How exactly do you keep you roof in good condition? Precision Homes is here to help! Here are a couple tips to make sure your home is in the best condition possible.
1. You should be inspecting your roof on a regular basis. This doesn’t mean you need to bring in a professional to do this. You should constantly be aware of the condition your roof is in. When you leave the house simply look up to see if you notice anything different about the condition of your roof. It’s also a good idea to inspect the roof after any storms with heavy winds. If you notice anything strange, contact a professional at Precision Homes right away.
2.Gutters and downspouts should be cleaned very often. You should be checking for breaks or gaps in the seams and make certain that the brackets holding the gutters against the house are securely attached.
3. If you notice trees growing too close to your roof, you should remove them immediately. Trees that are growing too close to the house can be a hazard to your roof. There’s not only the risk of broken limbs falling on the roof but if they overhang or rest on the shingles, they can scrape your roof.
4. When it comes to keeping your roof in top condition, check for any damages caused by animals. Squirrels, chipmunks, raccoons and birds will all make themselves at home on and under your roof at any given time. If areas of the roof have been weakened by rot, it will provide an easy access to all sorts of animals to make your roof their home. This can later result in more damages that need to be fixed.
5. Not only do you have to check for animals, but also insects as well. If you live in an area that is prone to termites or carpenter ants you’ll need to keep an eye on the roof for signs of activity. Soft rotten spots, shredded wood or sawdust and insect feces are all signs of an infestation.
6. Although it sounds fun, you should avoid walking on the roof. You can easily damage a roof by walking on it. No matter what material your roof is made of, it can be fragile.
7. Last but not least, schedule a professional inspection at least once a year. Following these steps will help keep your roof in order, but at the end of the day you’re not a professional. Make sure you’re getting your roof inspected by a professional to ensure there are no serious issues with your roof.
At Precision Home Inspections we have full roofing inspections, Four-Point inspections that covers the HVAC systems (heat, ventilation, and air conditioning), the electrical systems, and the plumbing system. We also perform Wind Mitigation, well as many other types of inspections.